Frequently Asked Questions
If you have a question about the site go to the contact page.
Why was this site created?
This site was created by for a number of reasons. I enjoy making and learning about pottery in my free time. I'm also fascinated with the internet and the unbelievable amount of information that is available. I hope this site will become a “Pottery Making Notebook” as I find and share information and resources.
How was it created?
- Created in Adobe Dreamweaver CS4
- Domain name from www.GoDaddy.com
- Hosted on 2GB Hosting
- Search tools provided by Google Custom Search Engines
- Yahoo Pipes used to mix, mash, and filter feeds and info
But what about the updated site?
Yeah, things change. In the summer of 2011 the whole site was re-designed. Major changes noted below:
- Redesigned in Adobe Dreamweaver CS5
- Layout based on the Thematic Framework. (A WordPress child theme was created first, then the rest of the site was adapted from that.)
- Resources included: Themeshaper Forum, Color Scheme Generator, Colors on the Web, Cats Who Code
- Hosted by StableHost
What are the goals of this site?
You mean besides taking over the world? Okay, really:
- Offer a site that is easy to read, navigate, and use.
- Help potters and ceramic artists locate relevant information quickly and easily.
- Continue to improve features and create a great user experience.
- Make enough money through ads and donations to break even with hosting and maintenance costs.
What's with the ads?
Why do I get a warning about scripts/ActiveX?
Pottery Making Info makes use of scripts in many of the pages on the site. You can be assured that none of them will harm you or your computer. Here is a brief description of the scripts that are used:
- Google Analytics – Keeps track of visitors and how they interact with the site.
- Google Adsense – Serves advertisements from other sites that might interest you.
- Yahoo Pipes – Embeds the most recent data from information around the net.
- Google Custom Search – allows a user to search specific sites or sources.
- Delicious Bookmarks - Displays websites that have been added to the Delicious List of Pottery Making Info.
- AddThis - Provides the little buttons that make sharing easy.
Can I buy some ad space on Pottery Making Info?
In a word: yes. If you would like to put your ad on this site it could be negotiated. But keep in mind that it has a specific audience (ceramic artists, potters, etc.) and will probably never have thousands of daily visitors. But if you feel your advertisement would be a good fit, let me know.
Why did you move from the Google Site?
Pottery Making Info moved to it's own domain because it provides more freedom. More freedom for the design and layout and also more freedom to add features and functionality that aren't available on Google Sites yet.
What are some other features that might be added?
New features will be added slowly to make the site more interesting and useful. Some ideas so far include more specific feeds or search engines, a dictionary or glossary, and original articles about pottery and ceramics.
What are the numbers inside parentheses for?
On certain pages, especially articles on the blog, you might see some numbers with parentheses around them, for example, (24). This shows that the preceding statement or idea came from another source. If you scroll to the bottom of the page you will find a numbered list with the resources that were used while writing the article.
How can I help?
If you find this site useful you can support it in a number of ways:
- Tell your friends to check out the site!
- Offer some feedback
- Link to the site or the tools that you find useful
- Submit sites to be used in the search engines or feeds
- Donate / buy some ad space
Page updated: August 7, 2011