Welcome to the Clay Blog Review! Thanks for taking a look. Below you will find some of the best pottery blogging on the internet! Be sure to subscribe to the blogs that you like and leave them some comments about the things you enjoy reading.
And if you enjoy reading this kind of stuff, be sure to subscribe to the Pottery Making Newsletter.
The Can’t Miss
What were the “must read” pottery blog posts during the past month?
- Pottery Making Blog: Clay Blog Review: August 2017
- Handbuilder’s Magazine » Free Blog Category Feed: How to Make Photo Ceramic Gum Prints
- paul the potter: Free Pottery Lessons! Roll up Roll up.
- Linda Starr: Brushing Glazes Tutorial
- Rachel Dorn: Ball Opener
- Handbuilder’s Magazine » Free Blog Category Feed: How to Make Chainmail from Clay
- Peter Gregory: Making a Paperweight on the Potter’s Wheel.
- Sparano Arts » Feed: An interesting detour
Process and Technique
What do pots look like during the process and how are they made?
- Gary Jackson: Platter Restraint
- Rachel Dorn: Finishing Sculpture from Last Summer
- Gary Jackson: Trimed & Signed
- Fetishghost Studios: Studio Notes
- Gary Jackson: Crisp & Clean Carving
- Sparano Arts » Feed: Its not a goblet, till you’ve connected the stem
- Gary Jackson: Another Bisque : Just Under The Wire
- Rachel Dorn: Small Sculpture and Cracking Glaze
- meesh’s pottery: Ginkgo Leaves, Snakes, and Pizza…
- Clay and Ginger: Challenging and fun to make a video of throwing a yarn bowl….
- Tony Clennell: I have weakened yet again!
- Tony Clennell: The Dumb Actor Reads His Lines
- Shaun Hall’s Raku Ceramics Blogspot: Wobbly bowls
- Gillian McMillan — Rara Avis: Culture Days
- Tony Clennell: My better half
- Kim Murton: 3 cats for Sitka -progress shots
- Peter Gregory: Glazing and Firing Paperweights
- Courtney Martin: Big quadruple tray! This guy is about 22? long. #courtn
- Gary Jackson: More Mugs : Stamping Cylinders
Tips and Technical
How can I become a more efficient or knowledgeable potter?
- Mea Rhee: Cheapskate Happiness
- Fetishghost Studios: Willie’s 6 Tile Slip
- Gary Jackson: Under-Reduced
- Carol Clarkson: Accenting With Duncan Gold Overglaze
- Big Ceramic Store: Using Styrofoam Floral Rings As A Slump Mold
- Fetishghost Studios: Studio Notes 9-6-17
- John Britt Pottery: Substituting Whiting and Silica for Wollastonite
- meesh’s pottery: Glaze Tricks
- Sparano Arts » Feed: Lets talk about lids
- RSS Feed: Learning About Glaze!
- meesh’s pottery: Innovative Raku Kiln Design
Where can I see inspiring pottery?
- Courtney Martin: Carved basket fired in the train kiln at @penlandschool
- Patricia Griffin Ceramics: Lady Grace Vase and her help for Houston
- Whynot Pottery: Hi!
- Tony Clennell: You’re damn right I got the blues
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Spotted | UPDATED Trump-y Transferware, Ceramic Fortresses, Sexy Travel Mugs + more!
- Fetishghost Studios: GhostBloom Revisited
- Marian Williams: Rustic Rainbow Drip Tumblers
- Nan Rothwell Pottery: Third firing in the new Bailey kiln
- Barb Rogers: The cup-bowl
- Céramique d’art – RSS: Bol artisanat d’art
- Marian Williams: I Need Colour!
- Linda Starr: Lots of Colorful Leaves Blew In
- Barb Rogers: Cheerful Sunflowers on turquoise
- Marian Williams: Cobalt Cascade Tumblers!
- Linda Starr: Small Dishes, Big Winds, No Electricity
- Jenni Ward: Finished Umbel Flower
- meesh’s pottery: Late Summer Firing
- Céramique d’art – RSS: Bol artisan d’art
- WALLYWARE: Here’s my free trip to Gitmo!
- BHClaysmith – Atom: Earthenware Wall Pockets
- Whynot Pottery: something we are working on
- Blog – Clay By Laura: Playing Favorites
- Courtney Martin: Soda fired bowl. @klinola was kind to put a few of my p
- Gary Jackson: The Pumpkin Patch
- Gary Jackson: The Ghouls Collection
- Barb Rogers: Cookie Jars – two.
- Barnbarroch Pottery: A run of tricky Commissions
- Céramique d’art – RSS: Poterie d’art
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Exhibition | Mitsukini Misaki’s ‘Earth from Sky’ Evanescent Vessels
- Rachel Dorn: Finished Sculpture, Two Years in the Making
- Gillian McMillan — Rara Avis: Bird Vessels, a Conure and Culture Days
- Céramique d’art – RSS: Plat “Poule”, pièce unique faite à la main
- andy priestman: Photo
- meesh’s pottery: One Hit Wonder
- Whynot Pottery: Working on the details
What can I ponder while making pottery and ceramic art?
- Tony Clennell: Rusty Cage
- Marshall Colman: FUNCTIONAL TEAPOTS
- John Bauman: Out On A Limb
- Tony Clennell: Are those my shoes?
Interviews and Podcasts
What do potters have to say?
- The Potters Cast: “Something like this doesn’t happen by magic!” | Josephine Heilpern | Episode 350
- The Potters Cast: Why Carve the Clay | Kyle Guymon | Episode 351
- The Potters Cast: A Chinese Artist in America | Shiyuan Xu | Episode 352
- The Potters Cast: Medicinal Chemist Becomes a Potter | Pierre Bounaud | Episode 353
- Tales of a Red Clay Rambler Podcast: 191: Sue Tirrell on developing narrative imagery on clay
- The Potters Cast: He Makes Kinetic Sculpture | Austin Wieland | Episode 354
- The Potters Cast: Learning the Game Rules of Business | Jonathan Martin | Episode 355
- The Potters Cast: “The Plate’s Not Done Until The Food Is On It” | Malcolm Greenwood | Episode 356
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Podcast | Casita Confessions with Garth Clark + Gustavo Perez
- The Potters Cast: A Maker In The Community | Lauren Karle | Episode 357
What’s out there for potters?
- Carol Clarkson: Wildacres Retreat Residency Applications On Line Now
- Handbuilder’s Magazine » Free Blog Category Feed: Learn Pottery Glazing Science Online. Easy!
- Musing About Mud: Call For Entry: Sip
What else do potters blog about?
- Catherine White: odd things of summer
- shin shin: Northern Ireland part 1: collecting a hot pot by Adam Frew
- Tony Clennell: Little pricks
- Marshall Colman: ENGLISH POTTERY OLD AND NEW
- Gary Jackson: The Great Pottery Throw Down : Season Two
- Jenni Ward: September Studio News
- Shaun Hall’s Raku Ceramics Blogspot: One year on in association with Curocarte
- Marshall Colman: TORQUAY WARE TEAPOTS
- Cynthia Cusick: Tea Horse Studio 2017 recap
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Video | Celebrating Labor Day inside Abandoned Ceramics Factories
- Blog – objective clay: Rat City Living – Vanessa Norris
- Blog – objective clay: Rat City Living – Jordan Jones
- John Bauman: Storming The Gates
- Tony Clennell: You’re not a potter, if
- Blog – objective clay: Rat City Living – Canne Holladay
- Blog – objective clay: Rat City Living – Thorly James
- Blog – objective clay: Rat City Living – Richard Burkett
- Blog – objective clay: Rat City Living – Nan Coffin
- Blog – objective clay: Rat City Living – Tilly Troelstrup
- Blog – Clay By Laura: Motivation
- Blog – objective clay: Rat City Living – Jake Fetterman
- Blog – objective clay: Rat City Living – Eliane Medina
- Blog – objective clay: Rat City Living – Stephen Ruby
- Blog – objective clay: Rat City Living – Jonathan Steele
- Marshall Colman: GORDON FORSYTH “20th CENTURY CERAMICS”:
- Blog – objective clay: Rat City Living – Angie Cunningham
- Blog – objective clay: Rat City Living – Zak Helenske
- Clay Club: Recap: September Clay Club at Mudhoneyz Studio
- Marshall Colman: GORDON BALDWIN IN STOKE-ON-TRENT
- Blog – objective clay: Rat City Living – Rickie Barnett
- Blog – objective clay: Rat City Living – Jon Johnson
- Carol Clarkson: Zebra Tools
- John Bauman: Double Your Pleasure-Double Your Fun
- Tony Clennell: An insincere apology
Thanks for reading!