We made it! We have survived 2016. This is the last Clay Blog Review of the year and the pottery bloggers didn’t let us down. Thanks to all of you for blogging, reading and being part of a great community. Keep your eyes peeled to see which pottery blogs were the best of 2016.
As always, you can sign up for the Pottery Making Newsletter to get more tips, videos and great potters to follow.
The Can’t Miss
What were the “must read” pottery blog posts during the past month?
- Love Sown: How to Underglaze Imprinted Clay
- Art By Fuzzy – News: Handle With Care Workshop: Eric Botbyl, Matt Schiemann, Todd Pletcher
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Design | Ian McIntyre Explores the 300-year History of the Brown Betty Teapot
- Lori Watts: A Project for the New Year: House Numbers
- Love Sown: Grow Your Own Plants for Clay Imprints
- Tony Clennell: I never promise you sunsets!
- Big Ceramic Store: This Little Piggy Turned Into a Bank
- Pottery Making Blog: 2017: Your Best Pottery Year
- Kristen Kieffer: Studio Cycles Pictorial 2016
And don’t miss all the tips and resources to make this year your best pottery year!
Process and Technique
What do pots look like during the process and how are they made?
- meesh’s pottery: Deadlines
- Gillian McMillan — Rara Avis: Full kiln
- Big Ceramic Store: Salt and Pepper Shaker Angels
- weddwould: MAMBO pottery
- Il Vasaio A5f11: Work in progress…chawan!
- Joel Cherrico Pottery: A History of Wood-Fired Pottery and Hot Holiday Deals
- Gary Jackson: Jennifer McCurdy : Playing With Porcelain
- Big Ceramic Store: Chip N Dip Trays For The Holidays
- Kim Murton: Boats and Salt and Pepper Shakers
- Kim Murton: Piece for upcoming show at Guardino Gallery in progress
- Kim Murton: Totem in 3 pieces for Guardino show
Tips and Technical
How can I become a more efficient or knowledgeable potter?
- andy priestman: mixing clay today: the ingredients of my stoneware body, the two…
- Lori Watts: Sunday Basics
- Big Ceramic Store: Coyote Glazes and the 2017 Ceramic Colour Trends
- Big Ceramic Store: Double Walled Vessels – The Hand Built Way
Where can I see inspiring pottery?
- Kristen Kieffer: Cup Family Portraits
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Pop-Up Shop | Our 12 Day Holiday Shop. 9 Top Designers. Get That Holiday Shopping Done!
- Earth Work: Latest results from the electric kiln
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Campus Now Live | The Ostracon Journal of Criticism and Issues Debuts
- Tony Clennell: Cowboy with an erection
- Catherine White: #3 winter solstice 2016
- Gary Jackson: A “One Of A Kind” Potter : Peter Karner
- Barb Rogers: A few greens on a cup
- pots and pieces: Firing 96, Mark Hewitt Pottery. (Firing and Kiln Opening)
- Bruce Gholson and Samantha Henneke: Seagrove Pottery Holiday Kilns Openings in Seagrove, North Carolina
- Gary Jackson: Patterned Presents
- Carole Epp: monday morning eye candy: Matt Repsher
- Mea Rhee: This is the 10th Annual Open Studio, 2016
- Gary Jackson: Mugs Flying Out The Door…
- Gaea Ceramic Bead and Art Studio Blog: New Sets!
- Linda Starr: Flu and Fire
- Bruce Gholson and Samantha Henneke: Buttercups
- Il Vasaio A5f11: Unglazed square pots!
- Catherine White: #8 winter solstice 2016
- Gary Jackson: Fresh From The Kiln
- Rae Dunn … clay » clay.: measuring up.
- Whynot Pottery: Ms. B rings in the last firing
- Catherine White: #10 winter solstice 2016
- Bruce Dehnert: Quatro Gimlet
- Barb Rogers: My 2016 mugs
- Gary Jackson: Lidded Jars at “Mud & Metal”
- Carole Epp: monday morning eye candy: Sandra Luehrsen
- Catherine White: #12 winter solstice 2016
- Gary Jackson: Happy Mugshot Monday
- Barb Rogers: My Art Plates
- Gillian McMillan — Rara Avis: Glazed Plates
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Art | Graffiti-Inspired Pots by Roberto Lugo are Born of Gratitude, Outrage
- Gillian McMillan — Rara Avis: More platters and plates
- Cynthia Cusick: Bobtown Arts Wood Firing Dec. 2016
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Exhibition | Jami Porter Lara Explores the Ubiquity of Plastic Bottles using Ancient Ceramic Techniques
- Barb Rogers: 2016 review of my pottery continued
- Barb Rogers: Bowls – One
- Centered – Focus on Clay and Creativity: Canoe Culture – A Series of Collaborative Workshops and Exhibitions Part II
- At the water’s edge! Beachfront Pottery blog: Ceramic art pieces in the “Form and Function” exhibit
- Gary Jackson: Deck The Halls… Deck My Tree…
- Carole Epp: monday morning eye candy: Shirley Bhatnager
- Gary Jackson: The Final Month of the Holiday Ornament Challenge
- Gillian McMillan — Rara Avis: Last 2016 firing
- Caroline in clay: What’s new?
- Shaun Hall’s Raku Ceramics Blogspot: Last minute Christmas Cracker
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Art | Art Meets Design Meets Studio Pottery with Gunjan Gupta
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Exhibition | Andy Nasisse “Badlands” at Southern Utah Museum of Art
- Jenny Mendes: Today it begins all over again…bring on the light!
- andrew widdis: Vase.
- Barb Rogers: While they’re closed – Chapter 1
- Carole Epp: monday morning eye candy: Heesoo Lee
- Whynot Pottery: tiles from the last kiln of 2016
- At the water’s edge! Beachfront Pottery blog: Ceramic art pieces in the “Shapes of Influence” exhibit; part 1: vessels.
What can I ponder while making pottery and ceramic art?
- Liz Crain Ceramics: The Pretty Poopy Jar: Aesthetics in Action
- CARTER GILLIES POTTERY: How not to get crushed by a poor weekend selling art
- HaldeBlog: Color me…
- CARTER GILLIES POTTERY: More like Shakespeare
- Catherine White: #18 winter solstice 2016
- Barb Rogers: Life and beauty
- Tony Clennell: Desire
Interviews and Podcasts
What do potters have to say?
- The Potters Cast: A Beautiful Story of Relationships | Luke Eastop | Episode 171
- Tales of a Red Clay Rambler Podcast: 160: Carol Gouthro on her fascination with the microscopic world
- The Potters Cast: Build the List | Zoë Johnson | Episode 272
- The Potters Cast: Kickstarting the Studio… Again | Marla Benton | Episode 273
- Tales of a Red Clay Rambler Podcast: 161: Patti Warashina on sculpting the human figure
- The Potters Cast: Decals & Pottery | Maggie Mae Beyeler | Episode 274
- The Potters Cast: Building Relationships with Clay | Adrienne Eliades | Episode 275
- The Potters Cast: A Mug Club | Sarah Wolf | Episode 276
- Tales of a Red Clay Rambler Podcast: 162: Live from Flower City with Metz, Briscoe, Finnegan and Aerni
- The Potters Cast: Making a Job for Yourself | Elaine Fallon | Episode 277
- The Potters Cast: Keeping Isolation at Bay | Leilani Trinka | Episode 278
- The Potters Cast: In Between and On the Way | Chris Lively | Episode 279
What’s out there for potters?
- NCECA Blog: Mentors Needed for Student Critique Room!
- Carole Epp: STUDY TOUR TO CHINA 2017
- Carole Epp: residency opportunity: John Michael Kohler Arts Center Arts/Industry Program
- Carole Epp: job posting: Assistant Professor of Ceramics at the University of Oregon
- Carole Epp: call for entry: Images on Clay
- Carol Clarkson: Montana Artrepreneur Program ( MAP)
- Carole Epp: job posting: Lecturer – Ceramics – University of North Texas
- Carole Epp: The Head in Clay with Cristina Cordova – online course.
- Carole Epp: Visiting Artist Workshop with Kyungmin Park
- Carole Epp: call for entry: SIP
- Carole Epp: residency opportunity: Red Lodge Clay Center
- NCECA Blog: Clay Stories 3
- Carole Epp: Summer residency Sessions at Watershed
- Carole Epp: international residency opportunity: Montana State University
- Clay Club: Western North Carolina Art in the Park Arts & Community Grant
- Carole Epp: call for exhibition proposals NCECA
- Carol Clarkson: Wildacres Residency Program/North Carolina
What else do potters blog about?
- Carole Epp: Arrowmont Needs Your Help – Support Rebuild Fund
- April Noble Studio: Community
- Whynot Pottery: It’s December
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Collect | The 2nd Great Groot Dump Ceramic Auction Crashes and Burns
- Art By Fuzzy – News: 2016 Middlebury Fall Festival
- Blog – Clay By Laura: Everyone Needs A Cheerleader!
- Tony Clennell: Scratch- Tales from the Cactus Lounge
- Marshall Colman: TORQUAY WARE: TOURIST TAT MADE WITH GREAT SKILL
- Tony Clennell: Scratch, scratch, itch, itch
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Books | Drexler Lynn’s New Ceramic History Textbook Includes Subtle Humor and Humanity
- Tony Clennell: Ugh!
- Marshall Colman: CLAY COLLEGE, STOKE-ON-TRENT: MAKING A NEW GENERATION OF STUDIO POTTERS
- Gary Jackson: EMPIRE : Sexy & Smashing
- Anna’s Ceramics: Meeting Online Potter Friends and Travels to the Land of the Long White Cloud
- Carole Epp: Help support Arrowmont through Project for Awesome
- Tony Clennell: The Good, Bad and the Ugly
- Tony Clennell: The Usual Suspects
- Art By Fuzzy – News: 2016 Michiana Pottery Tour
- Carole Epp: must read: Akio Takamori’s Drawings and Sculptures of Men Apologizing
- Tony Clennell: It’s all just shit!
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: NewsFile | A Bronze-Age Thinker, Ceramic Speakers and Orozco Architecture!
- Tony Clennell: Till Hell Freezes Over
- Blog – objective clay: We Love Arrowmont
- Carole Epp: movie day: The Ceramic Presence in Modern Art
- paul the potter: Bring on 2017, it can’t come soon enough for me.
- Leslie Farin: My New Studio
- Centered – Focus on Clay and Creativity: Canoe Culture – A Series of Collaborative Workshops and Exhibitions Part I
- Tony Clennell: Unburdened by fault!
- Contemporary Ceramics: Winter at Contemporary Ceramics Centre
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Cf Year-in-Review | humanMADE: The Robot Potters are Coming
That’s it! The last of the pottery blogging in 2016. Thanks for following along over the past year. Be sure to visit some of the blogs above and leave a comment. And don’t forget to check back in the next week to see which blogs were the best of the entire year!