Welcome 2017! This is the first Clay Blog Review of the year and the pottery bloggers are off to a blazing start.
If you enjoy this kind of thing, subscribe to the Pottery Making Newsletter to get an email almost every month full of tips, potters to follow and other great opportunities.
And if you missed it, you can see the Top Pottery Blogs of 2016!
The Can’t Miss
What were the “must read” pottery blog posts during the past month?
- Pottery Making Blog: Clay Blog Review: December 2016
- Bloomer Pottery Blog: Soda Kiln at Cobb Mtn Art & Ecology Project.
- Tales of a Red Clay Rambler Podcast: 164: Joy Tanner and Will Baker on setting up a studio
- Big Ceramic Store: How To Make A Yarn Bowl
- Pots and pieces: All About Ceramics Crazing: Why Glazes Craze And How To Avoid Crazing
- Pottery Making Blog: Top Pottery Blogs of 2016
- Lucy Fagella Pottery: Using Shellac Resist on Pottery
- Gary Jackson: Nolan Baumgartner : Large Platters Three Ways
- Love Sown: Hand Building Project: Lace Imprint Casserole
Process and Technique
What do pots look like during the process and how are they made?
- Gary Jackson: New Stamps In The New Year
- Big Ceramic Store: How To Sculpt An Elephant – Part 1
- Anna’s Ceramics: a little progress
- Jenni Ward: WIP: Starting New
- meesh’s pottery: Making Vessel Sinks
- Big Ceramic Store: How To Sculpt An Elephant – Part 2
- Dawn Whitehand: Ceramic Pit firing – New sculpture.
- Lucy Fagella Pottery: New Urns for 2017
- Jenni Ward: Video: Carving Hive Series
- Courtney Martin: Blank canvases. #courtneymartinpottery #workinprogress
- The Smart Cat: Forms
- Gary Jackson: Starting With Cylinders…
- Big Ceramic Store: Adorable Teaspoon Rests For Your Counter
- Kyle Carpenter: Loaded the salt kiln today…
- Gary Jackson: An Evening of Stamping
- Gary Jackson: Trimming & Signing.
- Anna’s Ceramics: Progress and slow drying
- meesh’s pottery: Making Work For Raku
- Courtney Martin: This pattern doesn’t look complicated…
This pattern doesn't look complicated, but it took me ages to figure out how to draw it freehand. It kept me awake in bed last night thinking about it. I draw all the patterns on my pots in pencil first before I paint on latex. And, of course, the latex reveal is so much fun! Tap for music. #pattern #courtneymartinpottery #workinprogress #liquidlatex #woodfire #eggman
- Gary Jackson: Score… Slip… Repeat… Repeat.. Repeat…
- Shaun Hall’s Raku Ceramics Blogspot: Making new pots 1
- Kyle Carpenter: Cuttin’ feet!
- Gary Jackson: Impressive Impressions
- Scott K Roberts: Back to Work
- Lori Watts: Well, that didn’t go as planned!
- Courtney Martin: I’ve been working on a collaboration with @jasonbburnet
- Big Ceramic Store: How To Sculpt An Elephant – Part 4
- Gary Jackson: Stamp. Stamping. Stamped.
- Zygote Blum: Projection
Tips and Technical
How can I become a more efficient or knowledgeable potter?
- Caroline in clay: Disasters and solutions
- Carole Epp: technical tuesday: Installing a Vent-A Kiln Overhead Vent Over My Home Studio Kiln by Karans Pots and Glass
- John Britt Pottery: Gold Shino Test Series
- Lori Watts: Flexible Flyer Platter Molds
- Carol Clarkson: Best Price on Pigment Stains for Pottery
- Bloomer Pottery Blog: 1/12/17 Soda Firing
- Carole Epp: technical tuesday: Isla Transfers: applying underglaze transfers with Jason Burnett
- Lori Watts: Value-Added Oddballs
- Big Ceramic Store: How To Sculpt An Elephant – Part 3
- Barb Rogers: Bowling along
- Big Ceramic Store: Glaze Mixing Equipment Essentials
- Carol Clarkson: How to make clay moist again
- Liz Crain Ceramics: Glaze Transparency: Clear As Mud
- bridges pottery blog: Mishima Technique on Clay Surface Decoration
Where can I see inspiring pottery?
- Barb Rogers: While they are closed Chapter 3
- Jenny Mendes: Two new plates
- Carole Epp: monday morning eye candy: Brian Harper
- Barb Rogers: No longer closed – but still Chapter 4
- Blog – objective clay: these things don’t hold water
- HaldeBlog: 2016 Kiln Firing Roundup
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Exhibition | Magdalena and Michael Frimkess at the Nevica Project, Chicago
- Il Vasaio A5f11: Round plant pots 🙂
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Sponsor | Warren MacKenzie, “A Master’s Hand” at Driscoll Babcock, New York City
- HaldeBlog: The January Mug
- Carole Epp: emerging artist: Zachary Wollert
- Carole Epp: monday morning eye candy: Guy Van Leemput
- Blog – Clay By Laura: Home Base
- Artworks of Johnson Tsang: Open Mind Series
- Barb Rogers: My last pot finished in 2016
- ang design blog: In Studio…
- Jenny Mendes: close to the heart
- Tony Clennell: Doing Crack!
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Exhibition | New York Times Lauds Voulkos, but Misses the Point
- meesh’s pottery: Wood Fired Mugs
- Carole Epp: emerging artist: Idris Kabir Syed
- Dawn Whitehand: Sunday Studio Visit – outside the studio!
- Tony Clennell: For the love of Blackheads
- meesh’s pottery: Ginkgo Leaf Bowls
- John Bauman: The Great Extraction
- ang design blog: hot chocolate marble ware…
- Whynot Pottery: We are working
- Gary Jackson: Mugshot Monday
- Gaea Ceramic Bead and Art Studio Blog: Happy New Year!
- Il Vasaio A5f11: Small plant pots 🙂
- HaldeBlog: New colors for butter dishes and deviled egg plates!
- andrew widdis: Fishtailed mug.
- Carole Epp: emerging artist: Minna Graham
- Carole Epp: monday morning eye candy: Arantxa Recio Parra
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Spotted | Amazing Ceramic Design by Piipu, Andrea Branzi, Soft Baroque and More!
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Collect | Ceramics of January’s Rago Auctions: Vessels, Nuclear Teapots and Ohr!
- Caroline in clay: Bird bowls, new shapes and a cat bowl
- WALLYWARE: 2017 State of the Studio Address
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Art | The Deep, Dark Bucchero Vessels of Paolo Canevari and their Historic Prototypes
- Jenni Ward: Art Hearts for Your Loves!
- Dawn Whitehand: New Exhibition – After the Fire.
- Il Vasaio A5f11: Small round plant pots 🙂
- Barb Rogers: Can you match that glaze?
- andy priestman: ash/lime/clay slip under pale celadon glaze #woodfiredscotland…
- Barb Rogers: That upside down bowl
- Bloomer Pottery Blog: Work from 1/12/17 Soda Wood/Gas Soda
What can I ponder while making pottery and ceramic art?
- Lori Watts: Meet the New Year…
- CARTER GILLIES POTTERY: Truth and meaning
- Euan The Potter: Epiphany
- CARTER GILLIES POTTERY: The Darwinian fate of Dreams, redux
- CARTER GILLIES POTTERY: ‘Curing’ starving artists
- HaldeBlog: True North
- Whynot Pottery: Ring or no ring; cell phone in the studio?
- CARTER GILLIES POTTERY: Giving the public what it wants only perpetuates the abuse of artists
- CARTER GILLIES POTTERY: Why is art a luxury?
Interviews and Podcasts
What do potters have to say?
- The Potters Cast: A Life of Change | Laurie Goldstein | Episode 280
- The Potters Cast: A College Students Is Building Her Business | Sage Cortez | Episode 281
- Tales of a Red Clay Rambler Podcast: 163: Bill Griffith and Peter Beasecker on Utilitarian Clay
- The Potters Cast: Learning to Say “No.” | Amy Hamley | Episode 282
- Tales of a Red Clay Rambler Podcast: 164: Joy Tanner and Will Baker on setting up a studio
- Tales of a Red Clay Rambler Podcast: 165: Louise Rosenfield on building a ceramic collection
- Tales of a Red Clay Rambler Podcast: 166: Margaret Bohls on hand building meaningful pottery
- Tales of a Red Clay Rambler Podcast: 167: Oesterritter, Peltzman, Allen and Schwartzkopf on Objective Clay
- The Potters Cast: A Teacher’s Journey | Mike Flowers | Episode 283
- The Life & Blog of Two Potters: our Etsy feature
- Carole Epp: Art Pro Podcast with… me, Carole Epp
- The Potters Cast: A Vulnerable Conversation of Life as as Artist | Jen Fontenella | Episode 284
- The Potters Cast: Having a Heart to Grow the Clay Community | Merle Lambeth | Episode 285
- Tales of a Red Clay Rambler Podcast: 168: Liz Quackenbush on maturing as an educator and an artist
- The Potters Cast: Making Community Happen | Sharon Greenwood | Episode 286
- The Potters Cast: Making a Community Celebration Installation | Kim Lulashnyk, Hilde Lambrechts, & Kristen Davidson | Episode 287
- Tales of a Red Clay Rambler Podcast: 169: Laurie and Peter Pincus on developing complex mold systems
What’s out there for potters?
- Carole Epp: call for artists: International Craft & Design Residency
- Carole Epp: call for entry: Ceramic Innovations
- Cousins in Clay: “Cousins in Clay” June 3-4 in Seagrove, North Carolina
- Carole Epp: call for entry: Blue Line Arts (CA), International Call for Ceramic Artists: Off Center
- Carole Epp: resident artist program @ Clay Arts Vegas
- Carole Epp: call for entry: Images on Clay
- Clay Club: John Britt Cone 6 Three day Ceramic Glaze Testing Workshop
- Nan Rothwell Pottery: 2017 Spring/Summer Workshops at City Clay in Charlottesville
- Carole Epp: residency opportunity: Woodstock Byrdcliffe Guild
- Carol Clarkson: Images on Clay/ Juried Show / Las Vegas, Nevada/ 2/24/17
What else do potters blog about?
- Lori Watts: Okay, So…About Those Resolutions
- Blog – Clay By Laura: Playtime
- HaldeBlog: Begin as you mean to go on
- Tony Clennell: All Hell Broke Loose
We all paraded the pot out to the garage where we took turns taking swings with the hammer. For the cost of $12.50 I had exorcised the planet of one really ugly pot. We went back to the dinner table and lifted our glasses to a cleaner, better and more beautiful world.
- Carole Epp: Canadian Ceramic Artist Robin Hopper honored with Order of Canada
- Carole Epp: movie day: Stories Potters Tell: Clay and Community in the St. Croix Valley Pottery Tour
- Carol Clarkson: Prime Ribs for Potters
- Bloomer Pottery Blog: January 2017 Update – Cobb CA
- Lucy Fagella Pottery: Artist Made Cremation Urns
- Acorn Pottery: think of it as an internship
- Kitty’s Granada Studio: New Year and new opportunities (I hope).
- bridges pottery blog: More Clay Less Plastic
- John Bauman: Uphill Climb
- Ellison Bay Pottery Studios – News: We’re Looking for a Few Good Artists and Other Exciting News
- zephyrvalleypottery: Video Blog
- Blog – Clay By Laura: It’s Your Serve.
- Rachel Dorn: Teaching Online
- Blog – Kara Leigh Ford Ceramics: Exciting times ahead…
- Barb Rogers: Thanks to potter blog readers!
- Jenni Ward: Honorable Mention for The Dirt!
- Tony Clennell: Prince of Boredom
- Carol Clarkson: International Ceramics Directory
- Tony Clennell: Bloggers take a bow
- Carol Clarkson: Top Pottery Blogs 2016
- John Bauman: On Blogging
- meesh’s pottery: Don’t let your head swell…
- Joel Cherrico Pottery: How Meditation Helped Me Break A Guinness World Record
- Gary Jackson: Top Pottery Blogs of 2016
- Clay Club: Glazed and Confused – Understanding the Unity Molecular Formula short online course
- Carole Epp: feeling the LOVE….
- Tony Clennell: True Love
Life is good for those of us that know that life is good.
- Gary Jackson: Sunday In The Studio
- Blog – Clay By Laura: In Great Company
- Gillian McMillan — Rara Avis: Snowy weeks
- Carol Clarkson: Switchlift Potters Wheel
- Gillian McMillan — Rara Avis: The Materiality of Clay
- Marshall Colman: COTSWOLD POTTERIES: PLEASANT ENVIRONMENT AND PEASANT TRADITION
- Rachel Dorn: Top Pottery Blogs of 2016 Honorable Mention
- Tony Clennell: Why we do what we do??
- Jenny Mendes: The Great Pottery Throw Down !!
- Blog – Clay By Laura: Outside The Box
Thanks for reading! Don’t forget to leave a comment on the blogs that you enjoy above and tell them what you like.
By the way, the Pottery Shirt Shop is now open! In about a week you’ll find a new and relevant design.