Welcome to the Clay Blog Review where you can find highlights from pottery bloggers around the world. Take a look below, visit some of these amazing blogs and learn more about potters and the pottery they make. And if you enjoy this list, be sure to follow Pottery Making Info on social media for some great videos, articles and links.
This month’s CBR is brought to you by Modern Thrive, a site that offers amazing video courses for creative people. They have a new course called *Start a Pottery Business* which starts on August 17th. Don’t miss this! And as a special bonus, I’ll be offering a great discount in a day or two. Subscribers to the Pottery Making Newsletter get it first. Sign up now so you can save some cash!
The Can’t Miss
What were the “must read” pottery blog posts during the past month?
- Big Ceramic Store: Making Transfer Paper With Laser Printed Images
- Pottery Making Blog: Clay Blog Review: June 2016
- meesh’s pottery: The Creation of The Whimsical Flower Pig
- pots and pieces: Visit to Clive Bowen’s Pottery (Shebbear Pottery), Devonshire, UK, May 6th 2016.
- CARTER GILLIES POTTERY: Advice for beginning potters
- Pottery Making Blog: 23 Pottery Tips from A Year of Reading Pottery Blogs
- DirtKicker PoTTerY: Underglaze Inlay Application YouTube
Process and Technique
What do pots look like during the process and how are they made?
- Gary Jackson: The Monthly Holiday Ornament Challenge : June
- Tony Clennell: Unique Pretty Well Figured Out!
- Blog – Clay By Laura: Cut It Out !
- FetishGhost: Point of Origin
- Acorn Pottery: details, process, failures
- Carole Epp: technical tuesday: A Creative Way to Use Trailing Slip – LISA ORR
- Rachel Dorn: First Summer 2016 Sculpture(s) in Progress (1 of 3)
- FetishGhost: R&D evaluation
- Rachel Dorn: First Summer 2016 Sculpture(s) in Progress (2 of 3)
- Ron Philbeck Pottery: Post from June 21
- bridges pottery blog: Round and Round Recycling Clay over and over
- Gary Jackson: Detailing
- BPracticalPottery’s Blog: Studio: Alfred Summer School
- Rachel Dorn: First Summer 2016 Sculpture(s) in Progress (3 of 3)
- Kyle Carpenter: Cutting feet.
- Rachel Dorn: Bad Throwing Day!
- Ron Philbeck Pottery: Glazing Some Pottery. Two Videos
- Gary Jackson: Basic Bowls… And Not So Basic Bowls
- Barb Rogers: Glaze is on the flower pots
- Gary Jackson: Detailing : Even More “Not-So-Basic”
- Gary Jackson: Round Is Over-Rated
- andy priestman: copper, limestone, shino, dunragit and bajarg slips
- Jose Maria Mariscal: TORNEANDO EN BLANCO Y NEGRO
- Whynot Pottery: Raw clay
- Rachel Dorn: Small Sculptures This Week
- Rachel Dorn: Sitting is Difficult
- Tony Clennell: The Evolution of WTF’s
- Rachel Dorn: Glazed Mugs for Storytelling Show
- Dawn Whitehand: Sunday Studio Visit – Filling Custom Orders
Tips and Technical
How can I become a more efficient or knowledgeable potter?
- Jenni Ward: Clay in the Classroom: Staying Organized
- Carol Clarkson: Firing a Large Platter
- Whynot Pottery: Did you
- Big Ceramic Store: Stoneware Wind Chimes
- Marian Williams: I’m Getting Copper Reds Again! What I Was Doing Wrong.
- Linda Starr: Petri Dishes, Oxide Mixing Dishes
Where can I see inspiring pottery?
- Tony Clennell: Would you like fries with that?
- Tony Clennell: A Casual Smoker
- Whynot Pottery: Ms. B Just in time for more summer fun
- DirtKicker PoTTerY: words on pottery
- Barb Rogers: What’s new with painting?
- Rachel Dorn: New Glazed Work
- Carole Epp: emerging artist: Amelia Butcher
- Gary Rith: princes and dragons….
- Tony Clennell: A Bloody Canvas
- At the water’s edge! Beachfront Pottery blog: Ceramic art pieces (part 1 of 5) in the 5th Central Time Ceramics exhibit at Bradley University
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Featured Potter | Vessel Experiments by German Artist Johannes Nagel
- Kitty’s Granada Studio: New Pots for a New Exhibition
- Gary Rith: July fest this weekend in Binghamton, NY!
- Patricia Griffin Ceramics: Swimming along
- JMN Pottery: Busy, busy, busy!
- Brandon Phillips: New Work on Etsy!
- andrew widdis: Small footed bowl.
- Caroline in clay: This is what happens when…
- John Bauman: STARwhite Carolina Clay
- FetishGhost: Collaborating With the Hands that Hold
- Carole Epp: emerging artist: Ella Valge-Saar
- Whynot Pottery: It’s getting to be a lot like
- Blog – Clay By Laura: Getting In Shape
- Bloomer Pottery Blog: New work for sale!
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Exhibition | Andile Dyalvane: “Camagu” at Friedman Benda, New York
- Barb Rogers: A Jar of roses, with or without a lid
- Gaea Ceramic Bead and Art Studio Blog: New Sets and Giveaway…
- Gary Rith: back into it…
- Barb Rogers: Bears on mugs, oh my!
- Gary Rith: the tale of the elephant in the PJs….
- meesh’s pottery: It’s a Celebration Weekend!
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Sponsor | Annual Bray Auction Launches with 3 Outstanding Collaborative Works
- Carole Epp: emerging artist: Talon Smith
- Carole Epp: monday morning eye candy: Cheng-Ou Yu
- Art By Fuzzy – News: Mugs from the First Half (of 2016)
- Catherine White: something extra
- Rachel Dorn: Lidded Jars with Spoons
- Barb Rogers: Planters are finished!
- Gary Rith: some new mugs and ideas for them…
- Tony Clennell: Results from the Minnesota Fireball
- Gary Rith: putting on your A game
- Carole Epp: emerging artist: Jihyun Kim
- Carole Epp: monday morning eye candy: Kat Hutter and Roger Lee
- Jose Maria Mariscal: OIL SPOT
- Barnbarroch Pottery: Pots for Potfest in the Park
- April Noble Studio: Critique
- Tony Clennell: T is served
- Artworks of Johnson Tsang: Looking for a Star
- Carole Epp: emerging artist: Amanda Dexheimer
- Patricia Griffin Ceramics: New work at Vault Gallery
- Tim Lake Ceramics: The ‘Pocket Rocket’
- Barb Rogers: Mugs and bowls Monday
What can I ponder while making pottery and ceramic art?
- John Bauman: Real Dreams
- Rebecca Lyn Beaird: How can there be art after ferguson?
- CARTER GILLIES POTTERY: The art of decoration
- zephyrvalleypottery: Living my best life
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Commentary | Josh Green of NCECA and Garth Clark on the Way Forward
- Tony Clennell: What’s the best schoolin’?
- CARTER GILLIES POTTERY: Uncomfortable questions for the arts
Interviews and Podcasts
What do potters have to say?
- The Potters Cast: Making a Choice to Be What You Want | Nikki Mizak | Episode 228
- The Potters Cast: A Skutt Champion | Herrick Smith | Episode 229
- Tales of a Red Clay Rambler Podcast: 148: Jeni and Forrest Gard on socially engaged craft
- The Potters Cast: A Woman in Art | Lauren Gallaspy | Episode 230
- The Potters Cast: A Family Story of Clay | Risa Nishimori | Episode 231
- Tales of a Red Clay Rambler Podcast: 149: Kathy Erteman on straddling the art and design worlds
- The Potters Cast: Getting Past the Fear of Waste | Ian F. Thomas | Episode 232
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Art + Interview | Elizabeth Jaeger Discusses Her Work
- Gard Studios: Tales of the Red Clay Rambler Podcast
- The Potters Cast: Finding Values | Robert Piepenburg | Episode 232
- The Potters Cast: Rekindling a Love for Clay | Sarah Thompson | Episode 234
- The Potters Cast: Some Thoughts On Social Media | Matthew Schiemann | Episode 235
What’s out there for potters?
- Carole Epp: call for entry: 49th National Port Hacking Potters Competition
- Carole Epp: call for entry: Good Things … Come in Small Packages – Juror: Doug Peltzman
- Carole Epp: call for entry: 4th Annual Cup Show & Sale juried by Courtney Murphy
- Carole Epp: job posting: Adjunct Assistant Professor in Ceramics, Ohio University in Ohio
- Jose Maria Mariscal: CRYSTALLINE WORKSHOPS IN MY STUDIO / CURSO DE CRISTALIZACIONES EN MI ESTUDIO
- Carole Epp: Zach Tate & Tom Bartel: Death and Taxes
- Carole Epp: call for entry: LEAP awards
- Carole Epp: workshop: THE PRINTED FIGURE: Cristina Córdova and Jason Bige Burnett
- Carol Clarkson: Call for Entries, Potter’s Council Juried Show
- jenallenceramics: Potters Council Event October 8, 2016
- Carole Epp: call for entry: A National Juried and Invitational Cup Show
- Carole Epp: call for entry: Set the Table @ Studio 550
- Carole Epp: call for entry: Upcoming events @ Clay Arts Vegas
What else do potters blog about?
- Jenny Mendes: Kakiemon: a history of making Japanese porcelain
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: NewsFile | Floods Strike the Porcelain Capital of China
- Gary Jackson: So Many…
- Ashleigh Christelis Ceramics: This is heavy, just a warning
- Rebecca Lyn Beaird: Becca’s Must Reads: Archives, Spring 2016
- Gary Rith: the millions of odds and ends it takes to make a pot….or at least, get it in front of YOU
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Oddity | Swedish Study Finds Bronze-Age Pottery Crafted by Children
- Big Ceramic Store: Functional Accessories For Your Clay Projects
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Technology | Ceramic Water Filters Prevent Illness in Cambodia
- Art By Fuzzy – News: The Elkhart ArtWalk Was Great
- Sandy Miller: Recap of Shows and catch up
- Jenni Ward: Create with Clay Project Book 4 is out!
- meesh’s pottery: It’s Official!
- DirtKicker PoTTerY: Stamp Organizer Dream Cart – Ikea Hack
- John Bauman: Daybreak
- Joel Cherrico Pottery: Cosmic Geode: Lunar Pottery Giveaway and Colorful Cosmic Mugs
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Design | Bone China Throwing Tools by RCA Student Christopher Riggio
- Liz Crain Ceramics: In Which I Find My Art Reception Mojo
- Clay Club: Recap: July Clay Club at the Melting Mountain Pottery “kiln zone” in Marshall
- John Britt Pottery: Karen Karnes, Remembered by Mark Shapiro
- Gillian McMillan — Rara Avis: Summer of Ceramics
- Tony Clennell: Still Kickin’ at 92
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Art | Vases that Encourage Those Shipping them to Play Rough
- Peter Gregory: I’m enjoying decorating! Dealing with the ACC… An appeal for help…
- Blog – Clay By Laura: Hot Hot Hot – The Dog Days Of Summer Are Here !
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: NewsFile | Garth Clark Remembers Karen Karnes, 1925 – 2016
- Tony Clennell: Canada wins Silver!
- Hannah McAndrew: Long Time No Blog
- Tony Clennell: Do you approve???
- Carol Clarkson: Making Time to Make Pottery
- Bloomer Pottery Blog: New Work & Clayscope Sale
- Gary Rith: ten years blogging…whoa 🙂
And that’s a wrap. Thanks for reading!