Welcome back to the Clay Blog Review! If this is your first visit you can view previous months of the Clay Blog Review, check the Pottery Making Blog for other interesting info or check the Home Page for news and links to other great resources.
The Can’t Miss
The best of show for pottery blogging in the past month. Most of these are posted on the Pottery Making Facebook Page.
- Jemerick Art shows How the doubles were made.
- Meagan Chaney shares Raw materials needed for low fire glazes and gives some tips about her Red Iron Oxide Wash.
- Angela Walford shares a video about Tagines:
- Joel Cherrico blogs about Wood Firing Pottery in Saggars and taking photos of pots.
- Gary Jackson has Fun With Power Tools.
- Diving into the Clay shares a video about Rolling a foot ring onto a bowl.
- Michael Mahans shares some of the steps to make his Tavern Mugs.
- DirtKicker Pottery shows how to make a Counter Top Compost Crock (and Part Two).
- Lori Buff shares a video: How To Decorate with Mishima:
- Glynnis Lessing gives us a Paver Tutorial.
- The Beads of Clay Blog explores MAYCO’S STROKE AND COAT glazes.
- Marian Williams shows that there is more than one way to Texture Clay Slabs.
Process and Technique
Posts about pots being made or how they’re made.
- Liz Crain: That’s the Way the Animal Cracker Crumbles.
- Carter Gillies is still a potter, after all.
- Alex Cluck shows a wood kiln firing: before and after.
- Carole Epp shares videos of Warren Mackenzie at work and Hand Building Handles with Bill van Gilder:
- Gary Jackson throws Mini Vases Off The Hump and Prepares To Be Glazed.
- Paul Jessop is Making Lists and making pots.
- Bulldog Pottery is at it again: Making Pottery in the Bulldog Studio and ready to Blast Off.
- Tracey Broome has New work.
- Barb Rogers’ Critters get glazed.
- Sean Robinson shares his First Video:
- Potter Jo is Firing on all cylinders and has pottery in progress.
- Lori Buff talks about Drying Pots.
- Angela Walford has a little raku time.
- Bridgman Pottery does some planning.
- Kim Murton has work on the worktable.
- Judy Abdelaziz is working on Fun new pieces.
- A Potter’s Archive shares a video of a recent Michael Simon workshop.
- Joel Cherrico’s Coil Building technique is featured in the PottersPages.
- Tony Clennell is Getting Loaded.
- Butterfly Farm Pottery has a two part video of making a teapot:
Tips and Technical
Technical information and pottery tips.
- Brandon Phillips blogs about his Firing Schedule.
- Carole Epp finds an article about using Epsom Salts in glazes.
- Tony Clennell’s Big Glaze Job is adding kiln wash to a new kiln.
- Lori Watts shares a table of limit formulas.
- Wirerabbit Pots shows one way that Potters Build Kilns.
- Marian Williams shares some tips for Copper Reds.
Finished pottery and ceramic art from the pottery bloggers.
- Tria Turrou shows some colorful New work.
- Wallyware has new work including A Giant Radioactive Walleye..
- Judy Abdelaziz shares her favorite pots.
- Daria Claiborne posts some images from a Firing in May 2013.
- Hollis Engley shares some fantastic bowls and Lots of pots.
- Sue Pariseau shows off some wood fired pieces.
- Brandon Schwartz posts results from the First Glaze Fire of 2013.
- Melinda Marie Alexander shares some Coastal Living inspired pots.
- Round Rabbit has an Extra shop update and another.
- Kelly Lynn Daniels is Gettin’ it done.
- Bridgman Pottery shares pitchers 14, 15, 16 and other progress.
- Barnbarroch Pottery has Dogs, Cats and Bubble Wrap.
- Alex Cluck shows Some shots of his new work.
- Brian Harper finishes New Oscillations work.
- Karatsu Pots shares Spring Firing Results.
- Gary Jackson reveals what he has After The Fire including cakestands and shakers.
- Patricia Griffin has a wild time in the poppy field.
- Margaret Brampton shares some highly decorated work.
- Carter Gillies has New pots for the sale.
- Ariel Bowman has New Work on display.
- Dahlhaus shares A bit of new work.
For those who like to think and discuss philosophy, creativity and art.
- FetishGhost shares a pair of videos by Richard Serra: Why make art? and challenging artistic tradition.
- Carter Gillies shares a lesson in aspirations and warns of The Dangerous Inspiration of Icons.
- Aaron Sober shares some thoughts by Gregory Ferrand and David Foster Wallace.
- Scott Cooper decides what to do with “free time” if he really has any at all.
Creative folk in discussion with other creative folk.
- Connie Norman interviews Patricia Griffin.
- Ben Carter shares a pair of podcasts: Julia Galloway and David Hiltner.
- Brian Jones talks to Lauren Gallaspy.
Anything that may be of interest to other potters that didn’t fit in the above categories.
- Carole Epp likes the video of Rilla Alexander: Without the Doing, Dreaming is Useless.
- Tracey Broome shares an article: Art for Money, money for art.
- Ben Carter shares the The Best of Season One for the ‘Rambler podcasts.
- Tony Clennell isn’t MIA, he has a bunch of posts about building a kiln on his blog.
- DirtKicker Pottery considers Making Changes to production.
- Dennis Allen talks of Blind Hogs and Acorns and shows the booth setup of a number of potters.
- Hollis Engley shows off the new Upper Cape Cod Pottery Trail brochures and tries to solve the mystery of the Collapsing kiln posts.
- Kristen Kieffer blogs about Needlework as Influence.
- Michael Kline shares A Week in Pictures and hatches an Idea for a podcast.
- David Morrison Pike reviews Chinyui, 2013.
- Mea Rhee shares the Studio of (her) Dreams and reveals the The New Kiln’s Name.
- Carole Epp shares an article about cheap and easy pro-quality photos for products.
- Gary Jackson finishes More Glaze Testing, has One Side Done and shares the Potter At An Art Fair video.
- Lori Watts considers more online sales: If You Build it Will They Come?, sings The Twelve Days of Crazy, thinks it may be Time to Prune and tells about her New Toy.
- Joy Tanner shares her Awareness of physical stress.
- Jim Gottuso has a Cool May Day. (when do I need to have my mint tin ready?)
- Diane McNeil considers Clay Catastrophes~What to do with them?
- Judy Abdelaziz shows her New Booth Display.
- Scott Cooper finds a silver lining in his mediocre spring sale.
- Jay Wiese asks What one word describes your pottery studio?
- Emily Reason gives a few tips for Requesting Information.
- Carter Gillies is the MacGyver of kiln repair and shares an article by Brainpickings.
- John Britt digs up One of the first Glaze Recipe books.
- Sue Pariseau shares Ze Frank’s Thoughts on the Creative Career:
- Pottery by Lisa has a new work place Under Construction.
- Heather Knight is Facing the Inevitable.
- Cindy Bracker shares the Houston Conference Attendance Breakdown.
- Dan Finnegan has images of Building a Kiln.
- Molly Hatch shares a Studio Panorama.
- Marian Williams shares a tool for Cleaning Up Kiln Shelves, Cool Stuff At NCECA, loves Coyote glazes and tells a story about her Giffin Grip.
Read The NCECA Advice Column for details about winning a free entry to the Milwaukee conference.
And that brings the May edition of the Clay Blog Review to an end. It seems a little shorter this month so if you need more check out the April 2013 Clay Blog Review. You can also check out links to more great pottery sites.