Welcome to the Clay Blog Review! I’m glad you’re here. Below, you will find some of the best pottery blogging from the month of October. Let me know if you have other blogs that should be included.
If you love this kind of stuff, be sure to sign up for the Pottery Making Newsletter and take a look Pottery Making Info on social media.
The Can’t Miss
What were the “must read” pottery blog posts during the past month?
- Hints and Tips for the Potter: 51 INLAY WORK AND OTHER THINGS.
- Dawn Whitehand: Teepee Firing – experimental low fired ceramics
- Pottery Making Blog: Clay Blog Review: September 2016
- Peter Gregory: How Owls Are Made!
- Gary Jackson: Not-So-Basic Bowls Demo… With A Twist
- pots and pieces: Visit to Svend Bayer’s Pottery in Sheepwash, Devon, England
- Big Ceramic Store: Napkin Ring Holders For All Occasions
- NCECA Blog: 2016 Conference Replay double feature! Glazes: safety and durability
- Lori Watts: Tutorial: Slab with Contrasting Clay Pattern
- Big Ceramic Store: Using Clay Coils To Create Awesome Pieces
Process and Technique
What do pots look like during the process and how are they made?
- ang design blog: raku pot throw…
- Il Vasaio A5f11: Work in progress…mini plant pots and stoneware glasses!
- ang design blog: throwing a narrow neck vessel…
- Il Vasaio A5f11: Work in progress…unglazed pots!
- Linda Starr: Alligator. Leaf Plates, and Pizza
- Jenny Mendes: Collaboration with Michael Kline
- Big Ceramic Store: Witch and Ghost Bells for Halloween
- Il Vasaio A5f11: Work in progress…glazed Chawan!
- Il Vasaio A5f11: Work in progress..Chandelier and bells!
- Kim Murton: In the works
- Jose Maria Mariscal: VIDEOS TORNEANDO
- Dawn Whitehand: Sunday Studio visit – Glazing in the Studio
- Tony Clennell: Anxiety
- Tony Clennell: Bad is good!
- Gary Jackson: Get A Handle On It
- Rachel Dorn: A Little Time To Glaze
- Gary Jackson: Dessert Before Salad
- Carole Epp: movie day: A ceramic bowl – layering technique with Jim Robison
- Gary Jackson: Lots of Pots : Layer By Layer
- Gary Jackson: Patterned Porcelain
- Gary Jackson: Lidded Jars
- Gary Jackson: Porcelain : From Cubes to Mugs
Tips and Technical
How can I become a more efficient or knowledgeable potter?
- NCECA Blog: micro Mondays: tiny tiles
- Carole Epp: technical tuesday: How Much Does It Cost to Fire My Kiln?
- NCECA Blog: Joule of the Studio
- NCECA Blog: micro Mondays: A tool called EDS
- Carole Epp: technical tuesday: Alcohol reduction raku with Shawn Felts
- Matt Fiske: SEM Images of Ceramic Glazes
- Carol Clarkson: Martha Grover Cone 6 Glaze Recipes
- Carol Clarkson: Making Mugs
- Big Ceramic Store: Tips For Preventing Warped Platters
- Carol Clarkson: Basic White Slip Recipe
- Pottery, Sculpture (and a few poems): Drip Tests
Where can I see inspiring pottery?
- Gary Jackson: Cup : The Intimate Object XII
- Carole Epp: emerging artist: Katy Drijber
- Rachel Dorn: Central Washington Artists’ Exhibition 2016
- Dawn Whitehand: Sunday Studio visit – Bits & Pieces!
- The Smart Cat: Monday Mug (lets)
- meesh’s pottery: Ash glaze, Tenmoku, Ginkgo Leaves, and Hurricanes
- Mea Rhee: Pennsylvania Platter
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Design | Fabric and Cross Stitch Designs by Denmark’s Gry Fager
- Gary Rith: swimming with the sharks….
- Tony Clennell: Orange is the new black
- Gary Rith: you could come see these TOMORROW!
- Whynot Pottery: After the rain
- Tony Clennell: Tony’s Ewerhouse
- Barb Rogers: Another flowery vase
- Gary Rith: a rainbow of vases…
- meesh’s pottery: Pigs and Plants
- this artist’s life: doing the new work
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Exhibition | Visions and Revisions at Renwick Invitational 2016
- Il Vasaio A5f11: Chawan 2016…#15
- weddwould: Fresh crop
- meesh’s pottery: American Craft Week Continues – Saturday, October 15, 2016
- Earth Work: Interesting effects from a new copper glaze
- Gary Rith: lately….
- HaldeBlog: This Week Only: Call Box Mugs
- Whynot Pottery: These pots rock
- Barb Rogers: Maybe mugs on Monday
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: cfile.library | Exotica: the Long Ago and the Far Away from Jason Jacques Gallery
- Gary Rith: cookie jars or……
- Marian Williams Pottery: Wanna See What Came Out Of The Kiln? Cone 10 Reduction and Copper Red Glazes – Marian Williams Pottery | Marian Williams Pottery
- Rae Dunn … clay » clay.: mug shot.
- Barb Rogers: Flowers on vases
- Jose Maria Mariscal: ENCARGOS ESPECIALES
- shin shin: mazekoze
- Barb Rogers: Ewer and cup set in chocolate and white
- New Day Pottery: Glazing
- Carole Epp: monday morning eye candy: Carrie Day
- Gary Rith: driving in a blizzard….
- Courtney Martin: Three section from my September firing. #courtneymartin
- Gary Rith: RED dragons
- Gary Rith: …and other new things….
- Courtney Martin: Another one from my fall firing. #courtneymartinpottery
- Barb Rogers: More pots for Art by the Tracks
- Tony Clennell: Trade ya a greenie for a brownie.
- shin shin: rakugaki
- Kim Murton: Last weeks firings
- Dawn Whitehand: Sunday Studio Visit…. custom orders!
- Whynot Pottery: Mugs
- Carole Epp: monday morning eye candy: Takashi Endo
What can I ponder while making pottery and ceramic art?
- Blog – Clay By Laura: Managing Expectations
- CARTER GILLIES POTTERY: Scarface ‘talks’ identity: A question for the arts and other human interests
- CARTER GILLIES POTTERY: The Completionist
- HaldeBlog: I’m good enough, I’m small enough, and gosh darn it…
- Liz Crain Ceramics: Defectology and PTCS
- Tony Clennell: Can I go now?
Interviews and Podcasts
What do potters have to say?
- The Potters Cast: A Family Fit | Tim Kowalczyk | Episode 254
- The Potters Cast: Finding the Passion | Elizabeth Borowsky | Episode 255
- The Potters Cast: Talking Over a Business | Lina Alvarez | Episode 256
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Pop-Up Shop | Potter Rachel A. Donner on Process, Instagram, Santa Fe
- The Potters Cast: A New Zealand Potter | Sue Scobie | Episode 257
- Tales of a Red Clay Rambler Podcast: 156: Mark Del Vecchio on building a collector base for a gallery
- NCECA Blog: Spotlight: Russell Wrankle
- The Potters Cast: Some Thoughts on Surviving in a Small Town | Kelly Lever & Adam Russel | Episode 258
- The Potters Cast: Ideas on Building a Foundation for an Art Business | John Newdigate | Episode 256
- The Potters Cast: How to Get Your Work Known | Lorna Meaden | Episode 260
- Tales of a Red Clay Rambler Podcast: 157: James Lobb and Wally Bivins talk about the history of Pottery Northwest
- The Potters Cast: The Balance Approach to Giving | Yoshi Fuji | Episode 261
- Tales of a Red Clay Rambler Podcast: 158: Brodeur, Helenske, and Howard on Pottery Northwest’s residency program
What’s out there for potters?
- Carole Epp: call for entry: SHIMPO Juried Teabowl Show
- Carole Epp: The 11th International Ceramic Competition, Mino Japan
- Carole Epp: The 7th Triennial Canadian Clay Symposium ~ R:evolution – tradition – technology
- Carole Epp: upcoming workshops @ Arrowmont with Melisa Cadell, Birdie Boone, and Linda Christianson
- Clay Club: Residency opportunity at The Bascom in Highlands, North Carolina
- Carole Epp: call for entry: Vessels Interpretations and Iterations
What else do potters blog about?
- HaldeBlog: Hello? Heeelllllooooooo? Right, then. Imma be the light.
- Carol Clarkson: SEO’s for Artists
- Carol Clarkson: How to sell on Instagram
- Gillian McMillan — Rara Avis: Jack Troy at Shadbolt Centre
- New Day Pottery: New Studio
- Liberty Stoneware: Dear Diana Gabaldon
- shin shin: Smile Maker of the Week #13 – ceramics by Florian Gadsby
- Joel Cherrico Pottery: Have you caught any of our Facebook Live videos?
- Blog – Clay By Laura: Made With Love
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Spotted | The Most Boring Art Ever, Rumi Memes, No One Discovered America & more!
- Tony Clennell: It seemed impossible!
- Tony Clennell: Tales from the Road
- Tony Clennell: God’s right hand.
- Tony Clennell: The Old Guard
- Arryn Vogan: Video: Studio Update
- Carole Epp: what’s been up lately….fusions, general hardware…craft ontario…make and do…a weekend of #canadianceramics
- Big Ceramic Store: Increasing Your Pottery Sales For The Holiday Season
- Sandy Miller: Shows…… what not to do…… again!
- Jenny Mendes: Raw Craft with Anthony Bourdain – Episode Seven: Elizabeth Brim
- Blog – objective clay: Say Cheese!
- Rachel Dorn: I Broke A Pot
- zephyrvalleypottery: New Studio Renovations
- Mug Revolution’s blog: Adios for now, NCECA
Thanks for reading!