Whew! This month’s Clay Blog Review is finally finished. My apologies for getting it out a few days later than usual. Between preparing for and selling pots at some local events (including the Michiana Pottery Tour!), teaching, going to a football game and helping take care of a sick family, I haven’t dedicated a lot of time to the ol’ blog recently. Thanks for coming back anyway!
Take a look at some of the amazing pottery blogging below. And don’t hesitate to visit these blogs and leave them a comment if you read something you like. You can also sign up for the Pottery Making Newsletter to get some great stuff delivered right to your email inbox.
The Can’t Miss
What were the “must read” pottery blog posts during the past month?
- Nell Hazinski Ceramics: Nerikomi Workshop Results
- FetishGhost: Floral Romp
- Pottery Making Blog: Clay Blog Review: August 2016
- this artist’s life: more thoughts on burnout
- John Britt Pottery: Real World Glazing – Oil Spot Cups Part 3
- meesh’s pottery: Creating a Ginkgo Leaf Bowl
- Ariel Bowman Ceramics: Summer 2016
- Gary Jackson: Look What Arived In The Mail…
- Gary Jackson: The Throwing With Intention Challenge
- Peter Gregory: Making a large plant stand, one kilogram at a time!
Process and Technique
What do pots look like during the process and how are they made?
- Gillian McMillan — Rara Avis: Testing, Testing, 1…2…3
- Gary Jackson: Put Your Best Foot Forward
- Gary Jackson: Oval Obsession
- FetishGhost: Akira Satake
- Craig Hartenberger Ceramics: Works in Progress as Summer Ends
- meesh’s pottery: Replenishing
- Barb Rogers: Painting the flowers
- meesh’s pottery: Spraying Glaze
- Courtney Martin: More platters and bowls. It’s a crazy time here at Geci
- Gary Jackson: Trimming
- Tony Clennell: Time to pause and reflect.
- Courtney Martin: Work in progress. #courtneymartinpottery #sprucepinepot
- Gary Jackson: Accentuated
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Video | Daniel Johnston n’ Crew Make 10 Pots in Two Minutes
- meesh’s pottery: Throwing, Handling, Carving
- Gary Jackson: A Squirt of Stoneware
- Gary Jackson: From One Kiln To The Next
- Courtney Martin: Box vases. #courtneymartinpottery #glazing #process #wi
- Kim Murton: Progress shots on a new totem-coil/slab
- Gary Jackson: Glaze. Wipe. Repeat.
- Gary Jackson: Loaded & Packed
- Carole Epp: technical tuesday: Mariko Paterson of Forage Studios shares some techniques
- Gary Jackson: Hybrid Pumpkins
- Ariel Bowman Ceramics: NCECA Graduate Fellowship Research
- Gary Jackson: Pumpkin Production
- Barb Rogers: Painted glaze on pots
- Il Vasaio A5f11: Work in progress…Flower pots!
- weddwould: Black and white world
- Zygote Blum: Cut Flowers
- John Britt Pottery: Real World Oil Spot Glazing Cups Part 5
- Gary Jackson: An Offer You Can’t Refuse
- Marian Williams: Sometimes Its The Little Things…That Sell!
Tips and Technical
How can I become a more efficient or knowledgeable potter?
- Big Ceramic Store: Texture Mats For Clay
- NCECA Blog: micro Mondays: Hexagons by SEM
- John Britt Pottery: An Overview of Glaze and Glazing Safety
- Big Ceramic Store: Possible Causes For Kiln Mis-Fires
- Big Ceramic Store: Simple Technique for Handling Large or Bulky Greenware and Bone Dry Pieces
- NCECA Blog: micro Mondays: Zooming in with SEM
- meesh’s pottery: Putting the Parts Together
- Acorn Pottery: not as expected
- FetishGhost: 50/50 Wash
- NCECA Blog: micro Mondays: Mullite?
- Gillian McMillan — Rara Avis: Thixotropic, and storage boxes
- Marian Williams: How To Make A Raku Kiln Out Of An Old Electric Kiln
- Carol Clarkson: Commercial Terra Sigillata
- Big Ceramic Store: Creative Mold Making
- Hints and Tips for the Potter: 51 INLAY WORK AND OTHER THINGS.
Where can I see inspiring pottery?
- Kitty’s Granada Studio: A Kln Full
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Design | A Few Moments of Respect for Designer Eva Zeisel
- The Rabbit Muse: I’m cleaning out the studio!
- Brett Kern Art: Re-visiting Nerdist and New Work
- Barb Rogers: Glazes that do their own thing
- Acorn Pottery: Poetry in Art 2016
- Zygote Blum: August Sky
- Lori Watts: Unloading Day, Belated
- Gary Rith: trying to make it exquisite…
- Carole Epp: monday morning eye candy: Seth Payne
- Gary Rith: WHOOPSIE! The big mistake…
- Linda Starr: Working on It
- Carole Epp: Alberta Craft Council Artist Spotlight – Laura Sharp
- Zygote Blum: Rooster Chasing Fireflies
- Gary Rith: the before, the after….
- Patricia Griffin Ceramics: Warming up to Mug-Mania
- Whynot Pottery: Do you want to take a wee look?
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Exhibition | Shio Kusaka: Second Solo at Blum & Poe, Los Angeles
- Kyle Carpenter: #pottersmarketinvitational #mintmuseum
- FetishGhost: Black and White
- Tony Clennell: Pitter, platter let me atter!
- Barb Rogers: Mugs on Monday
- meesh’s pottery: Ginkgo Leaf Bowl with Ash Glaze
- Carole Epp: monday morning eye candy: Bradley Klem
- Zygote Blum: Blue blue Blue
- Gary Rith: more scales…
- Brampton Pottery: Latest Bowls
- HaldeBlog: This Week Only: Biohazard Mugs
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Exhibition | Edward Eberle Retrospective at Society for Contemporary Craft
- Rachel Dorn: Professional Images of Functional Work, Finally
- Gary Rith: and then some more bowls…
- Barb Rogers: Flower painted vases
- The Smart Cat: More Stuff
- Patricia Griffin Ceramics: Poppy Field Collection off to Freehand Gallery
- FetishGhost: Holding Silver
- Carole Epp: monday morning eye candy: Anne Mossman
- Blog – Clay By Laura: Horn Of Plenty
- meesh’s pottery: The New Pig
- Il Vasaio A5f11: Chawan 2016! #1
- FetishGhost: Distance Makes the Heart Grow Fonder
- Zygote Blum: Betting on a Little Cock
- Zygote Blum: Aiming to Hit a Target
- Scott K Roberts: Some Pots From First Glaze Firing
- Gary Jackson: New Ghouls For You Fools
- Caroline in clay: Upcoming markets
- Carole Epp: emerging artist: Yvette De Lacy
- Gary Rith: don’t call ME….!
- WALLYWARE: Crazy for Comical Cat Pots.
- Blog – Clay By Laura: Piecing It Together
- Zygote Blum: Dreaming Morpheus
- Gillian McMillan — Rara Avis: Today’s Flock
- Tim Lake Ceramics: Back from a good time in London at Ceramics in City at the Geffrye Museum.
What can I ponder while making pottery and ceramic art?
- zephyrvalleypottery: Living my best life
- Tony Clennell: The Richest Man in the Room
- CARTER GILLIES POTTERY: Why art needs stories
- Cynthia Cusick: Wot up
- Marian Williams: Has Social Media Caused ME To Be Competitive And NOT Creative?
- CARTER GILLIES POTTERY: Beauty is axiomatic
- Tony Clennell: So you have lived!
- this artist’s life: more, better, faster
- Liz Crain Ceramics: “Trying is the First Step Towards Failure”
- CARTER GILLIES POTTERY: Don’t be a tool
- CARTER GILLIES POTTERY: Notes from The Land of Make Believe
Interviews and Podcasts
What do potters have to say?
- The Potters Cast: Eliminating Expectation | Steven Young Lee | Episode 245
- Tales of a Red Clay Rambler Podcast: 152: Garth Clark and Justin Crowe talk about trends in ceramic art and design
- The Potters Cast: Being a Mom and a Maker | Joy Tanner | Episode 246
- Tales of a Red Clay Rambler Podcast: 153: Field, Celani and Taylor talk about building community through Periscope
- The Potters Cast: Some High School Teachers | Kevin Kowalski & Michael Millam | Episode 247
- The Rabbit Muse: Introducing the Round Rabbit Podcast!
- The Potters Cast: Getting Into Shows | Keaton Skyles | Episode 248
- Tales of a Red Clay Rambler Podcast: 154: Christine McHorse on her evolution from traditional Pueblo pottery to sculpture
- The Potters Cast: Building a Community Center | Tallie Maughan | Episode 249
- The Potters Cast: Starting Fresh | Mollie Jenkins | Episode 250
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Video | Billy Lloyd Discusses Making the Jump from Pottery to Design
- The Potters Cast: Art Therapy | Cindy Gibson | Episode 251
- The Potters Cast: A Path to a Happy Place | Amy Fields | Episode 252
- Tales of a Red Clay Rambler Podcast: 155: Virgil Ortiz on reinterpreting the Pueblo Revolt
- The Potters Cast: A Pot-Ographer | Helen Levi | Episode 253
What’s out there for potters?
- Carole Epp: call for emerging artists: Banff Artist in Residence
- Carol Clarkson: “Cup Show 2017”, December deadline
- Carole Epp: call for entry: The Cup, The Mug: A National Juried Exhibition of Drinking Vessels (USA)
What else do potters blog about?
- Gillian McMillan — Rara Avis: NZ potter Chris Weaver
- BPracticalPottery’s Blog: Lunenburg School of the Arts
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Spotted | Tile Art by Corwyn Lund, a Kiln in Knots, Tile Funerals and More!
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Exhibition | Artists in China Explore the Post-Industrial Mindset with Ceramics
- April Noble Studio: So, this happened…
- Tony Clennell: The Dripping Tap
- Liberty Stoneware: Among the Living
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Technology | Inside the World of Repairing Priceless Ceramic Art
- Gary Jackson: Ceramics Monthly : October 2016
- Blog – objective clay: Historical Pot
- Joel Cherrico Pottery: You Can Join World Record History with Cherrico Pottery Planters & Cosmic Mugs
- Dennis Allen: Knackered and Chuffed
- zephyrvalleypottery: The process of change
- paul the potter: “Fall seven times stand up eight” – Japanese Proverb
- Bruce Dehnert: Anagama 2016 Unloading
- Joel Cherrico Pottery: Guinness World Record Planter #1 / 159 Available on eBay
- Kristen Kieffer: Summer 2016: Glick, Gills, & Kline
- Gary Jackson: CRAFT IN AMERICA : Linda Sikora on PBS
- Tony Clennell: Tony Clennell- Tap Dancer
Going to church doesn’t make you a Christian, anymore than standing in a garage makes you a car. Being a potter is a faith, a calling, a dedication to a set of values, a lifestyle, a brother/sisterhood.
- Carole Epp: MUST SEE: The Democratic Cup
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Education | ArtNet Crunches Data on Whether an MFA is Worth It
- Gary Jackson: Whoops
- Carole Epp: technical tuesday: A chronological history of the rise on popularity of Chinese vases
- Whynot Pottery: Many miles to go
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Spotted | A Wedgwood Unboxing, a Few Thousand Years of Pottery at Harvard and More!